If you want to know which foods to avoid giving your dog this Christmas here is a list that the Australian Veterinary Association want you to know:
You know this one already I am sure, but it’s important to keep an eye on your dog at Christmas. Maybe a well-meaning relative or a misplaced treat could wind up causing an unwanted Xmas Vet trip. Chocolate can be highly toxic to your pet even in small quantities.
I bet you didn’t know about this one, this favourite eggnog additive is actually one of the lesser known poisonous foods for dogs. The Australian Veterinary Association warns that nutmeg can cause dogs to suffer from tremors, seizures, issues with the nervous system and even death.
3. Grapes and raisins
That means no pudding or fruitcake for your favourite pooch. Both raisins and grapes, though, can cause acute kidney failure in your dog, so be careful not to give them a handful of leftovers.
4. Avocado Skin & Seed
In Australia, where Xmas Tradition is often replaced with Salad and seafood Avos can be a popular Christmas food. But the skin contains a toxin which can damage the heart, lungs and tissue of our furry friends. The hard seed can also be a choking hazard for dogs so is best avoided.
5. Macadamia nuts
This very tasty and popular Christmas nut can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms generally present within 12 hours and can include vomiting, hypothermia and elevated heart rate. My parents learnt this the hard way one year, a very unpleasant day for their Mini-Foxie Chloe, who was very sick – but survived.
It’s amazing what some dogs will crunch into; onions can cause gastric irritation and anaemia if eaten in large quantities.
7. Turkey skin, pork crackling, sausages and fatty meats
One word – pancreatitis! These Christmas lunch staples are often high in fat which can all lead to inflammation of the pancreas in dogs. This can lead to a very unwell dog – so are best avoided.
’tis the season to be jolly, and we tend to celebrate the festive season with a drink or two. According to the AVA though, even small amounts of alcohol can kill a pet so make sure you keep it out of reach.0.
Have a Safe and Happy Christmas with your dog/s and a fantastic new year.